Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, James P. Roberts wrote:
>
> > I ran into a similar problem. It has to do with the fact that in M$
> > Outlook Express (and probably other M$ mail clients), when you check

the
> > box to use encrypted connections, it ONLY uses TLS on port 25, but
> > instead switches to using SMTPS if you use any other port. (Talk

about
> > an undocumented "feature"... geeez).
>
> Aarrgghh!! That sounds like it. Hells Bells...
>
> > I await the day that Exim can be asked to listen for different
> > encryption protocols on different ports. Perhaps it already can; I
> > simply haven't looked at changing my process, because it is

currently
> > working. ("If it ain't broke...")
>
> No it doesn't, and it is unlikely to, since the only standard protocol
> for email is ESMTP, which uses the STARTTLS mechanism to initiate
> encryption.
>
> The only facility is -tls-on-connect, for legacy clients that use

smtps.
> The recommendation is to use inetd to handle this "second version of
> Exim", which of course doesn't actually have to be a second version.
>
> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

Good to know the expert says to keep doing what I'm doing! ;)

Although, the newer thing to use is xinetd, as the older inetd had some
security flaws. And that's what I actually have, xinetd listening on
the alternate port, firing off Stunnel to handle the connection, which
decrypts and forwards to Exim.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.