RE: [Exim] Sharing Experience

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: S. Yoder
Para: exim-users
Assunto: RE: [Exim] Sharing Experience
On Thursday, February 13, 2003 1:39 PM, James P. Roberts [SMTP:punster@???] wrote:
> > > Ohhh, btw maybe Phil should implement the usage of the SIZE command
> into
> > > the callout-check, this could help with the mailbox full issues ....
> >
> > When the mailbox is full the address does exist. You should not bounce
> > messages because sender's mailbox is full. At least I would not.
> >

> And I think you are smart to hold that position. Let me share a little
> experience:

[snip using Exchange's 'Prohibit Send' quota and a situation that cause problems]

Long time lurker here who's working hard as possible to replace my company's Exchange 5.5 server... I too use the 'Prohibit Send' in Exchange for exactly the reason specified -> it forces users to clean out their mailboxes more so than a prohibit receive. However, I have also set the 'Prohibit Send and Receive' (at a slightly higher amount) in order to avoid the situation described. So far no one has hit that limit since we installed Exchange back in '96.

I've been trying to figure out a way to do the same with Exim and I was almost to the point of writing the list about it anyway. I have Exim's quotas setup and working fine on my test box. However I know my users will ignore the warning message and I know that if I prohibit receiving and a critical email is bounced I'll spend more time explaining the situation to the boss than it takes for the user who claims not to have seen the warning message to clean out their box. If they are not able to send then I've got their attention and they'll clean out their box, usually without help from me.

So... is there anyway to do or add in the future something like:
quota_send = 50M
quota_receive = 80M
Where quota_send would be the limit of the mailbox size where the user couldn't send anymore. Quota_receive would work just like quota does now. That's about the only issue I have left to resolve before we can make the switch.

BTW, thanks to everyone as I have learned a lot just lurking and going through the archives. It is really helpful when folks give examples both with their problems and the solutions. I got my first taste of Exim with v2 as an LRP module, which is currently serving as a gateway to our Exchange server. My test box is running v4.12. I've pretty much had to learn things from the ground up, since the last time I touched Linux was in '98 and then only in a workstation context.

The only other question I have is where and how can my company give back to the Exim project? I can't find anything about donations on the Exim web site.

Stephanie

--
mailto: yodersj@???