Re: [Exim] Force new (valid) Exim-style message id from syst…

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Ralf G. R. Bergs
CC: exim-users ML
Subject: Re: [Exim] Force new (valid) Exim-style message id from system filter?
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 22:14, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> can you please comment on the following approach to "overwrite" locally (i.e. by
> machines in my LAN) generated (and possibly faulty) message ids by Exim-
> generated (valid) ones?
>
>   if ${mask:$sender_host_address/24} is "192.168.2.0/24" then
>     headers remove Message-ID
>     headers add "Message-ID: $message_id@$primary_hostname"
>   endif

Doesn't that make it quite likely that you'll end up with a Message-ID:
with _two_ @ signs in it? Is that permitted?

> Is this a clever approach? Or am I overseeing something?

Users might not like it. I explicitly configured MH to add Message-ID
before sending, so that my outgoing folder had a record of the
Message-ID of each mail sent, and I could then refer to it more easily
-- looking for it in mailer logs, grepping for replies to it on a
mailing list, etc.

--
dwmw2