[Exim] local_scan(), content-scanning, multiple recipients a…

Author: Ollie Cook
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] local_scan(), content-scanning, multiple recipients and bounces
Hi,

I'm delevoping a content scanner (spam and antivirus), where each individual
recipient at our site may have different settings for
accepting/rejecting/marking mails that match, using Exim's local_scan()
function but am having trouble decided how to treat messages with multiple
recipients.

For example, if recipient A has spam rejection enabled and recipient B does not
I will need to accept the message and deliver it to B only (by manipulating the
recipients vector), but also generate a bounce message for the sender,
announcing that recipient A did not receive the message. (The bounce will
probably go nowhere, but we have to have tried, in case the 'spam' was in fact
legitimate.)

Since I would not be able to give a 5xx permanent fail (which would suggest
both recipients failed), I would have to accept the mail with 2xx and then
subsequently generate a bounce message.

I'd rather be able to reject messages based on content at SMTP time, so it's
the remote site's responsibility to handle bounces (given that the majority of
spam bounces will just sit on my queue for a while), but I suspect that's not
possible.

I was really just wondering (after all that), if this is what other people do
in this situation, or if other schemes have been devised?

Thanks,

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, Claranet UK
ollie@???                  020 7903 3000