Re: [Exim] Eudora AUTH over TLS

Author: James P. Roberts
To: Jerome Mainka, Derek Simkowiak, Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Eudora AUTH over TLS
>From my different testings, here is a table for Windows Eudora:
>
> Latest version of Eudora tested: [Version 5.2.0.9]
>
> Eudora for MS-Windows:
>
> Supports STARTTLS Command on port 25: Yes
> Supports STARTTLS Command other ports: Yes
> Supports TLS in wrapper mode on port 25: Yes
> Supports TLS in wrapper mode on other ports: Yes
> Supports AUTH type PLAIN on a non-TLS connection: Yes
> Supports AUTH type PLAIN after STARTTLS connection: No
> Supports AUTH type PLAIN over wrapper mode TLS connection: No
> Supports AUTH type LOGIN on a non-TLS connection: No
> Supports AUTH type LOGIN after STARTTLS connection: No
> Supports AUTH type LOGIN over wrapper mode TLS connection: No
>
> Jerome Mainka
> Antidot

Many thanks, Jerome!

So, from this testing, we conclude that Eudora 5.2.0.9 on Windows cannot
do either PLAIN or LOGIN Authentication over a TLS-encrypted channel,
right? I seem to recall hearing that Eudora prefers to use CRAM-MD5
authentication, which is an encrypted login method, IIRC? (PLEASE
correct me if wrong!) I believe there are sample CRAM-MD5 authenticator
configurations out there for Exim. For completeness, I recommend adding
CRAM-MD5 test results to the above matrix, if anyone happens to have
them.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.