Re: [Exim] Bug/Improvement in Readfile - Exim 4

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Bug/Improvement in Readfile - Exim 4
On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I don't know if you know this or not but in your examples the white
> space in front of the expressions here become part of the string that is
> presented for sunstitution. On the third line of your example, the white
> space in front of The ${readfile is appended to the beginning of the
> expression. The indenting you use to (try to) make this look pretty is
> affecting the results.

I should have pointed that out. Sorry. I did remember to say the
continuations weren't there, and I thought the comment text was pretty
obvious. The layout I used was to try to explain how the item worked,
not to make it look pretty. It's hard to make this stuff look pretty. :-)

> >${sg{
> >    ${readfile{/file}{|}}
> >    }
> >    {\\|(\\||\$)}
> >    {$1}
> > }

Note, however, that leading whitespace *is* ignored after a
continuation. So if you write an option such as

  xxx = ${sg{\
            ${readfile{/file}{|}}\
            }\
            {$1}\
         }

The space in front of ${readfile would *not* be significant. I guess
that's why I didn't bother to mention this point.