Re: [Exim] local users and virtual domains setup suggestions…

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local users and virtual domains setup suggestions please
I'll put the new questions first (I got no answers to the old ones...):

Does anybody have experience with using ipop3d and exim. Is there any
mailbox issue (since ipop3d does not copy mailboxes, as far as I can
tell).

And again, any suggestions about the way to keep users in virtual
domains orthogonal (I have given my solution in the old email, see
below)?

I have found the answer to one of my two old questions myself:

the University of Washington IMAP toolkit, it contains an imap and a
pop3 (and pop2) server. It correctly avoids stripping the @ from the
username. It can be modified in precise places to change the location
of mailboxes and is a pretty dumb thing to install. It also seems
faster than qpopper (I was running qpopper in non server mode, so it
was making copies of the mailboxes, ipop3d does not do that).

Thanks

Giuliano

At 16:58 +0000 2002/12/17, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
>I am in the proc. of setting up virtual domains on my server. One
>main requisite is that users on these domains will be orthogonal,
>that is I want to be able to have user joe@??? and joe@??? as
>different users.
>These users must also be able to check their email via pop or
>optionally Pine, by logging in the server.
>
>I have thought of giving them usernames identical to their email
>address. This is fine with exim, it works flawlessly. I have checked
>most system utilities and services. The system call getpwnam and
>passwd are happy, most other utilities too (I am on Darwin/MaxOSX,
>so these include NetInfo/lookupd stuff).
>I can even ssh in the machine as long as I user the ssh -l user address.
>Who fails? pop. I am using qpopper 4, the dumb thing (or is it me?)
>strips the @ and what follows from the user, thus failing the login.
>I think that even

[...]

--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/