[Exim] local users and virtual domains setup suggestions ple…

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] local users and virtual domains setup suggestions please
I am in the proc. of setting up virtual domains on my server. One main requisite is that users on these domains will be orthogonal, that is I want to be able to have user joe@??? and joe@??? as different users.
These users must also be able to check their email via pop or optionally Pine, by logging in the server.

I have thought of giving them usernames identical to their email address. This is fine with exim, it works flawlessly. I have checked most system utilities and services. The system call getpwnam and passwd are happy, most other utilities too (I am on Darwin/MaxOSX, so these include NetInfo/lookupd stuff).
I can even ssh in the machine as long as I user the ssh -l user address.
Who fails? pop. I am using qpopper 4, the dumb thing (or is it me?) strips the @ and what follows from the user, thus failing the login. I think that even usernames longer than 8 chars will be truncated (but this might also be a system wide problem).

I am clearly stuck myself in a corner: now to the questions:

is there an alternative layout that you would suggest? (perhaps still remembering the 8 chars issue)

is out there a pop server that does SSL as easily as qpopper that can also accept those @ usernames? (short of patching qpopper).

Thank you

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
|| |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/