Re: [Exim] 4.12 bug-fix release

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 4.12 bug-fix release
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Nico Erfurth wrote:
>

>>Maybe you should declare new releases as Release Candidates before
>>making it a real release.
>>
>>Many people are afraid of using snapshots, but a RC indicates "Well,
>>it's stable, try it and inform me about problems."
>

> That is a point, but even when I have put x.xxx releases in Testing -
> i.e. given them a number and not just called them snapshots - some
> people have been reluctant to try them.
>
> I *always* get a lot more feedback when I create a "real" release. I
> guess it's just human nature.

IMHO a RC indicates more stableness than a snapshot, and more people are
going to test it.
For me RC means "No more changes for the real release, until we get bug
reports".

> Perhaps I should make more frequent releases.

Yes, the time between 4.10 and 4.11 was too long (Well, we all know that
you were busy the last months).

The Changes-list was almost as long as the changes from exim3 to exim4 ;)

ciao