Re: [Exim] Spool file is locked. How do I unlock it?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Brett Thorson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spool file is locked. How do I unlock it?
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Brett Thorson wrote:

> I've had this happen with other processes; when you Ctrl-C out of strace, the
> process sometimes gets irritated and hangs or dies.
>
> Well the process died in this case, and Exim thinks that the message is being
> handled by another process. But that process has died. Whenever I try to
> force the message etc. I get "Spool file locked, handled by another process,
> yada yada yada"

When a process dies, all its open files should get closed, and when a
file gets closed, any locks that are held for it should be released. If
that doesn't happen, it's an OS problem.

> So how do I get this message back into the run?

I dunno. Are you sure the processes have really gone away? If that is
the case and there's still a lock, you have a problem that Exim cannot
solve.