Re: [Exim] Backslash in Sendmail-Aliasfile

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Lejf Diecks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Backslash in Sendmail-Aliasfile
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Lejf Diecks wrote:

> --- <snip> ---
> ysmith:        ysmith
> knk:            knk,ysmith

> knk-privat:        \knk
> --- <snip> ---

> The adress "knk@???" is delivered to the local user accounts "knk" _and_
> "ysmith" (my boss and his secretary). This is correct.
>
> The adress "knk-privat@???" is for confidential emails - if a '\' is in
> front of the user account, sendmail delivers the mail _only_ to the
> "knk"-account. But Exim seems to ignore the backslash and also delivers it
> to "ysmith".

Exim doesn't in fact ignore the backslash, but it doesn't behave in the
same way as Sendmail.

If you know that you only ever want one pass through the aliases, that
is, if none of the addresses generated by aliasing are themselves
aliases, you can set the redirect_router option on your aliasing router
to tell Exim where to go next.

If some of our aliases need to be reprocessed as aliases, you'll have to
set up two aliasing routers to handle this.