Re: [Exim] commets on multiline /etc/alias files - are #comm…

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: List - Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] commets on multiline /etc/alias files - are #comments supported?
On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 11:32:04AM -0600, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> Hello all and thank you to MBM for his/her suggestions to my previous post.

His, please. :-)

> I am running exim 4.1 and trying to put comments on multiline alias
> lists in /etc/aliases.

I'm not sure about the comments bit.

> MBM, are you using the same version of exim as I am? Any thoughts as to
> why we are getting different results?

I've done what I posted on exims 3.22 - 3.36 and 4.10. It has always worked
fine for me.

> Anyone have thoughts on how to get comments at the end of aliases that
> span more than one line?

Not sure how you'd do that.

> Results:
> ==============
>     == below fails
> originalto: em1, \
>             em2, \
>             em3, \
>             em4, \
>             em5

OK, looking at the code, I'm not sure why this works, but I'm pretty certain
that it does.

>     == below works
> originalto: em1,
>             em2,
>             em3,
>             em4,
>             em5

This ought to work.

>     == below fails
> originalto: em1,
>             em2,
>             em3, #comment
>             em4,
>             em5

And comments only appear to be valid at the beginning of lines.

MBM