Re[2]: [Exim] retry db owned by root

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: Re[2]: [Exim] retry db owned by root
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:38:14 +0100 Nico Erfurth <masta@???> wrote:

> Richard Welty wrote:
> > after seeing these email messages, i tried testing exim out on the 3.2
> > box. i'm getting _very_ funky results, seemingly having to do with
> > permissions. my research is continuing.

> So it could be OpenBSD 3.2 related?

maybe

> Anyone checked what happens if Softupdates are disabled?
> (It's just a guess)

probably not softupdates. they've been around for a few versions, and i've
got exim running on softupdate partitions w/o problems.

i'm not clear on what is going on, yet, but exim is trying to run as
uid/gid 35/35 (which is x windows in openbsd 3.2), when the uid and gid in
/etc/passwd and /etc/group for exim are 1002/1002. i've used 35/35 in the
past on other systems, but

...wait a minute...

i moved this config file over from another system, and it's setting uid/gid
to 35/35 in the runtime configure file, overriding the exim user and group
implied by Local/Makefile and the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. this
appears to be a complete explanation of my problem.

the technical term for this is "oops"

exim 4.10 appears to be running just fine on my openbsd 3.2 system now.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???