Re: [Exim] Having exim look for multiple configuration files

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Having exim look for multiple configuration files
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Marc Haber wrote:

> I would like to know if I am the only one finding the following
> useful. In my environment, it would be handy to have exim search for
> two configuration files and to use the first it finds. This could be
> implemented by having
> CONFIGURE_FILE=/etc/exim4/exim4.conf:/var/lib/exim4/exim4.conf
> in Local/Makefile. exim would then use /etc/exim4/exim4.conf, if this
> file is found, and use /var/lib/exim4/exim4.conf if the /etc file is
> not found.

Exim actually has something like this already, though it is documented
only in the src/EDITME file.

# In some installations there may be multiple machines sharing file systems,
# where a different configuration file is required for Exim on the different
# machines. If CONFIGURE_FILE_USE_NODE is defined, then Exim will first look
# for a configuration file whose name is that defined by CONFIGURE_FILE,
# with the node name obtained by uname() tacked on the end, separated by a
# period (for example, /usr/exim/configure.host.in.some.domain). If this file
# does not exist, then the bare configuration file name is tried.

# CONFIGURE_FILE_USE_NODE=yes

> If I understand correctly, this can be done by a small patch against
> readconf.c.

Yes, that's right.

> Philip, would you be willing to put this on your wishlist?

OK. It seems a reasonable request, and is not a very big item.