RE: [Exim] syslog question (4.10)

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeffrey Wheat
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] syslog question (4.10)
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

>    In src/smtp_in.c, line 1544, the following was causing the duplicates in
> the maillog using syslogging:

> log_write(0, LOG_MAIN|LOG_REJECT, "%s %s%srejected %s%s", host_log_info,
>
> I changed it to:
>
> log_write(0, LOG_REJECT, "%s %s%srejected %s%s", host_log_info,
>
> and my problem has gone away. I still get an entry in the reject log as
> well as in the main log. Haven't tried this using just the log files.

I bet that it's wrong for log files, because that just requests writing
to the reject log. (And I certainly see just one entry on each when
using log files.) A quick flip through log.c confirms that it calls a
function write_syslog() - which writes a string to syslog - once if
LOG_MAIN is set and once if LOG_REJECT is set.

But from what you say, I think I have misunderstood the problem.

Are you saying that, originally, your got THREE log lines written to
syslog? And after the change you have two? I would have expected two and
one, respectively.

Or am I totally confused? (I wouldn't be surprised. As usual, I'm trying
to do several things at once.)