Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: byname vs bydns for manualroute

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Peter Benie
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: byname vs bydns for manualroute
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Peter Benie wrote:

> Anyway, the point is that there's a reasonable chance that nscd is the
> culprit. Try disabling it and doing your experiment again.

Thank you. I will do that.

> I'm in favour of the change. I expect that configurations that fail
> will typically be noticed fairly quickly, whereas using a broken
> implementation of gethostbyname will result in occasional problems
> that are hard to track down.

I'm leaning towards doing both lookups as a default, but only what is
specified if something is.

> On the same topic, I don't think it's desirable to do any DNS lookups
> at all in situations where the purpose of using "byname" was to look
> in /etc/hosts. You could add a "byfile" method that parses /etc/hosts
> (or some other file) directly.

I don't like that idea. You'd then need NIS, NIS+ and so on. I think
that's better left to nsswitch.conf. If you really want to do that, you
could put the data in a file and do a lookup in the expansion to get the
IP address. Then Exim wouldn't try to look up anything.