Re: [Exim] Virus Scanning

Author: Matt Bernstein
To: Timothy Arnold
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Virus Scanning
At 10:28 -0000 Timothy Arnold wrote:

>Does anyone recommend any virus scanning products for Exim? We generate a
>lot of emails via mailing lists so we would need one suited to such a task!

If you teach your local_scan() (or someone else's) function not to scan
messages re-sent through your (trusted!) MLM (I do it using -oMr lsmtp),
then the mail is scanned once and once only.

HTH,

Matt

PS: But do use a daemonised scanner if you can. I hope to look at writing
an ICAP client as a local_scan() function to work with servers I'm told
are offered eg by Symantec. But I've not even got close to looking into it
just yet.

Some URLs relevant to ICAP:

http://www.i-cap.org/spec/icap_specification.txt (expired, but..)
http://icap-server.sourceforge.net/ (written in Python!)
http://www.ietf-opes.org/documents/draft-beck-opes-irml-00.txt

The great thing about this is that as well as Exim, there's no reason why
your IMAP/POP server, squid, Apache, etc. etc. couldn't also be IMAP
clients. What do others on the list think?