Re: [Exim] crazy idea?

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Alexander Sabourenkov
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] crazy idea?
--
Quoth Alexander Sabourenkov on Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 13:02:41 +0300
> >Stability would be an issue as well. If the LDAP server crashes or
> >restarts or whatever your mail breaks instantanously as well. This
> >is a bad thing (tm).
>
> That's a separate issue. It can be addressed by running a caching LDAP
> server on each machine and ensuring that they're up before trying to
> start exims.

What happens when those caching servers get out of sync? What happens
if they crash? ...

> >Besides, some people don't use LDAP and would have to learn just to make
> >Exim work. It adds another layer of complexity that no one needs.
>
> And I'm not suggesting an unconditional move to LDAP-based config as well.

*grin* Good.

> I'm evaluating whether writing a patch and testing will worth it.

I think that it will create more problems than it's worth. But what
worked/works for me may not do for you.

> >Ah, but the configuration file is read only once! All the processes
> >that are forked from the deamon (you _are_ running it in deamon mode,
> >yes?) inherite all the configuration options from the deamon.
>
> All configuration is read from configure file and stored either in global
> variables or some lists. The fork() takes care of them.

Yes, we agree here...

> Won't cut it. Right now I have no problems with HUPping daemon whenever I
> change the config file, but I'm quite tired of writing super-intelligent
> perl scripts to parse it and automagically put needed features into it.

Hum... How about haiving the main configuration in cvs somewhere and
push it to the servers when you want it?

I don't really understand why you are parsing the config file. What's
your setup?

> This also leads to storing the config data in multiple places, and running
> a process via ssh to edit it, which proved to be quite slow and error-prone
> if done on regular and automated basis.

CVS the config and push it to the server... small ssh-script.

> >It is good practice to test things on a test machine and then roll it
> >out to production systems. Yes, it's hassle. Yes, it will save you
> >time and stress.
>
> I know, I know.

*grin*

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318