[Exim] Performance question

Author: Michael Brutman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Performance question
I'm running exim 3.36 and trying to stress it to see how it behaves.

Kernel profiling is telling me that it spends a lot of time creating
processes - 60% of the CPU time is spent in kernel mode. I understand from
reading the documentation and the archives that exim uses a delivery
process for each delivery, and I suspect that it what is causing this.

Is there a way to cut down on the number of processes that exim is using
for delivery? I've examined the queue running options, but none of those
address the delivery mechanism.

For the curious, the machine is a 2 way PowerPC box. Disk I/O seems
sufficient, and I have far more memory than I can use. With mstone driving
the workload it is using 1.5GB, and I've got another 14.5GB to go. :-)
Networking is a single 100Mb/s ethernet card, which at the moment isn't
working too hard. The machine is using a 2.4.19 kernel.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael B. Brutman
Internet Mail: brutman@???