[Exim] Strange problem with user nobody

Author: Clive McDowell
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Strange problem with user nobody
Folks,

we are running Exim 4.05 on a Sparc 20/SuSe linux platform. It provides an SMTP service and forwards all messages to our mailhubs for onward delivery. There should be no local deliveries other than the odd system panic or error messages I suppose. I haven't made many changes to the configuration file other than to perform as above. The problem I have is that any message with nobody as the user is treated as local e.g.

exim@smtp1:~> exim -bt nobody@???
router = localuser, transport = local_delivery

I have checked that there is nothing odd in the aliases file. Exim runs under its own user/group and this doesn't conflict with the nobody user. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

Clive McDowell

Information Services
The Queen's University of Belfast