Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10 + exiscan-15 problem

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Andy Mell
To: Tom Kistner
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10 + exiscan-15 problem

--On 06 November 2002 09:22 +0100 Tom Kistner <tom@???> wrote:

>> Had another close look just now. There are lots of -D files without
>> corresponding -H files in the input directory.
>
> When you grep the logs for these IDs, what does it say ?

Further intelligence:

There is no sign of these IDs in the logs - it would appear that exim is
writing -D files and does not get as far as writing the -H files or even
logging the connection to its log files!

Ive compared one or two of the emails, and inferred from them what the
sender address would have been - theres no sign of it in the logs
which seems to indicate that the email has simply vanished.

In several cases there are multiple copies of the -D file which are exactly
the same. Presumably as the email client has repeatedly tried to send them
without success.

My guess is that when the smtp connection takes place, after the DATA
section has completed transferring, uvscan command line scanner is taking
too long to scan the email and exim does not send an OK and associated
messageID back in time before the connection closes. Does that make any
sense? It would explain one or two other things I have observed.

Question now is what happens to the email. Does the SMTP client timeout and
recognise the lack of an OK + message ID as a temporary error? Is the
expected behaviour clearly defined?

The other question is, what should exim be doing if it cant get back to the
smtp client right away before accepting the message? Theres clearly
something
wrong there if the email isnt actually coming through.

Andy