Re: [Exim] no string user variables assignable in filter fil…

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] no string user variables assignable in filter file?
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Nico Erfurth wrote:
>
> > These variables are only meant as counters, i.e. for spamratings.
>
> And the whole filter thing was conceived as something to give a bit more
> flexibility to forwarding, not as a comprehensive spam-trapping or
> message processing language.

Another possibility would be for two new string expansion functions of:

${add {arg1}+{arg2}}

${substract {arg1}-{arg2}}

I've needed this recently for handling quotas. Our system quotas are
set one megabyte higher than the Exim quotas to leave room for lock
files. So, I've wanted to use on the relevant transport:

quota = ${subtract {${lookup {$local_part} lsearch{DBFILE} {$value}{}}} {1}}

Which would effectively use a value of one less than the system quota.
But, there is no way to do this currently (that I know of).

It's not a huge deal, really, as I found another way around it (by
having to create multiple extract records in the database for each
value), but there are times where addition/subtraction expansion items
would be useful in areas aside from filters.

Regards,

Dean Brooks
dean@???