Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?

Author: Steve Haslam
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 05:43:10PM +0100, Robert Wilhelm Land wrote:
> Steve Haslam wrote:
> >
> >Urnf. I use:
> >
> >mda "/usr/sbin/exim -oMr fetchmail -oem -f %F %T"
> >
> >in /etc/fetchmailrc and I have "fetchmail" in the trusted_users setting of
> >Exim so that the "-f %F" part is effective.
> I'm sorry - I can't quite follow the options you are using.
> The exim specs supply:
>
> "Trusted users are permitted to use the -f option or a leading 'From '
> line to specify the envelope sender of a message that is passed to Exim
> through the local interface (see the -bm and -f options below)."
>
> Would this mean that if I'm not defined as a
> trusted user my ~/.forward file containg the lines:
>

> if $h_to contains debian-user or $h_cc contains debian-user; then
>   save muttmail/debian/user
>
> elif $h_to contains exim-user or $h_cc contains exim-user; then
>   save muttmail/exim/user
>
> else
>   save muttmail/other/inbox
>
> endif
>

> ...would not work?

No, your filter file isn't affected by being a trusted user.

Users listed in the trusted_user setting are allowed to override Exim's idea
of who the original sender of a message is. So in this case, we want
fetchmail to be able to specify the sender of the message to whatever value
it derivce from the POP3 server. If the user is not trusted, then submitting
a message using this form will set the sender to the username '@' the
qualify_domain setting.

> Does this say trusted users may alter the message header (envelopes)
> or does this refer to the -oem option you have used?

-oem is just specifying how to report submissions errors back to the caller
(i.e. by returning a non-zero exit code).

> The -oMr option in your command is not clear to me:
> "... The option is
>       intended for use when handing to Exim messages received by other
> means.
>       It applies only to non-SMTP and batched SMTP input.
> "
> - What does this mean?

The "received protocol" is an attribute of each message in Exim's queue. If
you wubmit a message to Exim via the command-line interface, then by deafult
the received protocol is "local". But trusted users can override this too
using -oMr. So in this case, I override the received protocol to
"fetchmail", which shows up the Recevied: headers, and also means that I
scan the messages with SpamAssassin (which I don';t do for messages received
using "local").

> Last - what do the %F, %T variables refer to?

fetchmail replaces %F and %T with its ideas of the message envelope sender
and recipients, respectively.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      Reading, UK                           araqnid@???