Re: [Exim] can't configure exim (FQDN hostname doesn't match…

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: CARLOSBLE, exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] can't configure exim (FQDN hostname doesn't match)
lør, 2002-10-26 kl. 16:57 skrev Nico Erfurth:

> > Some weeks ago, i had some problems with exim and can't run
> > exincomfig due to this error:
> > Error: system's FQDN hostname (BLE.) doesn't match
> > RFC1035 syntax; cannot configure the mail system.

> 1.) It's named eximconfig

What Nico means here, basically, is that you have made a typo and he
doesn't like it. The fact that he continually makes typos himself
doesn't rank in this case.

> 2.) It's a tool from Debian

We don't help with tools from Debian. Anything that attempts to make
life easier for Exim users should be eschewed, as all use of Exim is
prohibited to erudite users. In this particular clique, erudition is
often equated to arrogance. Some members exhibit more arrogance than
others, some exhibit none whatsoever.

> 3.) check your hostname

Internet hostnames (apart from those propagated by Microsoft) are based
on an hierarchical system that translates an IP address to a logically
based and traceable name. A good and short introduction can be found at
http://www.tech-nic.net/html/about_dns.html . Don't even try to to read
- and understand - rfc1035, referred to above and written in 1987 by one
of the original Internet gurus.

> 4.) learn how to configure exim WITHOUT eximconfig

Reading the documents supplied with the standard Exim distributions is a
must. The document called spec.txt, for both the Exim 3 and 4 trees, is
especially valuable since it can be searched linearly. If Debian doesn't
supply - at least - this document on Exim, mail me privately and I'll
send it to you.

> ciao

Ha det :-)

--