[Exim] message expiration

Author: Brian Bennett
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] message expiration
--
Please help me.

I have a mail server that is running completely out of control.
I currently have 2476 messages queued to be sent, that is up by
about 200 from this morning. I currently have 193 exim processes
doing...something.

My problem is that these messages are undeliverable and have been
sitting in the queue for up to 25 days. I've been trying my damnedest
to clear out my mail spool, but I just can't seem to do it. At first
I was having a problem with users with very full mailboxes (some are
as much as 65M). In order to attempt to help the situation I set a
quota limit of 5M hoping that future messages would get rejected.

Instead those messages generate errors and cause the origonal message
to sit in the queue attempting re-delivery. The bounce message also
sits in the queue because the return e-mail address is often
undeliverable as well.

What I want is this:
1. Attempt delivery, if undeliverable, attempt retries for 24 hours.
2. If a message fails because a mailbox is over quota send a bounce
and do not ever attept redelivery, delete it immediately.
3. Messages that are refused or timeout should never attempt
redeliver, discard them imediately.
4. After 24 hours, expire messages and delete them entirely.
5. Above all, get it out of the queue at all costs!!!

In my exim.conf I have this in the RETRY CONFIGURATION section:
# Domain               Error       Retries
# ------               -----       -------

*                      quota
*                      refused
*                      timeout
*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,8h,2h,1.5; F,24h,8h

Exim seems to be completely ignoring me. What is wrong? What can I
do to correct this? Why won't exim delete expired messages?!?

I'm using exim 3.35-1 on Debian 3.0 (woody). Please please please
someone help me. As far as I can tell everything I've done is right,
but exim just doesn't seem to care.

At this point I'd settle for a nice perl script that will check
the ammount of time a message has been on the queue and delete
anything over 24 hours.

--
Brian Bennett
bahamat@???