Re: [Exim] Newbie has error trying to send mail to /dev/null

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Ruggiero
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Newbie has error trying to send mail to /dev/null
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, David Ruggiero wrote:

> 2002-10-17 07:03:59 /dev/null <webmaster@[somedomain].com>
> D=virtual_aliases defer (-31): file_transport unset in virtual_aliases driver
>
> I realize my problem's in the transports section exim.conf,

No, it's in the routers section (Exim 4) or directors section (Exim 3).
If you alias an address to a file, you must tell Exim which transport to
use to deliver to that file. You need to set the file_transport option
on your virtual_aliases driver, just as it tells you. Typically, this
should point to an appendfile transport.

> I thought /dev/null was recognized by exim as a
> special case and didn't take any extra setup steps to make it work...

The *transport* recognizes it as a special case.