Re: [Exim] 3.x host_lookup failing?

Author: Adam Henry
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 3.x host_lookup failing?
Thanks, I understand now. So the host_lookup option is only to give
information about the reverse DNS entry of sender IP addresses, not to
deny at all. Even if host_lookup is unset, if there are host names in
the host_reject variable, delivery will fail if the reverse lookup of
those names fail.

Even though refusing connections if IP addresses don't reverse resolve
might not be the wisest decision, it does cut down the majority of spam
(and I'm sure a lot of legitimate mail as well). What I am considering
is using a whitelist when people notify me they have problems receiving
mail from certain hosts. Does 3.x have the ability to offer this
functionality, or is this something that only 4.x's ACLs offer?

I also would like to make sure I am not breaking any RFC by doing this.
I will check over the relevant ones to see what they say.

Any thoughts; suggestions?

thanks,
hank