[Exim] How can I inform the sender about recipients which ha…

Author: Oliver Egginger
To: Exim List
Subject: [Exim] How can I inform the sender about recipients which have failed during the "acl_check_rcpt" check?
Hello,

we employ Exim 4.10.

In my Exim configuration file I'am using basically the "acl_check_rcpt" ACL
(ready-made by the author) to verify the recipients of a message.
If one recipient is rejected the sender of the message receives the text "unknown user" via
an 5xx SMTP error.
The text "unknown user" is given by the "message" statement in the "acl_check_rcpt" ACL.

Here is the corresponding part of my configuration file:

accept  domains    = +local_domains
          endpass
          message    = unknown user
          verify        = recipient

The problem is, that the sender has no chance to find out which receiver
Exim rejects. He only see the "unknown user" line in the error message.
It would be nice if the sender could see which adress have failed.
This was, if I remember rightly, the default in Exim3.

I tempted to change the configuration according this thought.
The Exim4 specification say's at 37.7, that "message" is literal and that it is
expanded.

But when I try something like this:
     message    = $address_data
The sender receives the text "Administrative prohibition".
That means $address_data isn't expanded in this context (at least not as I thought).
By the way:
when I comment the "message" statement out, the sender gets
the same text.

At the moment I have no clue how I coud configure Exim to send the address of the
recipient which has failed back to the sender.
Can you give me a hint please?

regards
Oliver

--