Re: [Exim] exim performance

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim performance
On (2002/10/23 01:33), Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

>     The program indicates that Exim can handle only 5 mes/sec! ;(
> (200 mes/40s).
>     This is so bad.
>     What I can do to improve this number?
>     I' m atacching the exim.conf too.

The problem is your program, not Exim. :-)

Your program establishes its SMTP connections in serial. Parallel
delivery is what Exim will experience, and so parallel delivery is what
you should test.

I'd say your hardware will more than cope with the small mail volumes
you're talking about, provided you've put some serious money into your
storage. You _really_ want a decent SCSI controller, high-speed disks,
and sensibly sized striping.

I can highly recommend the Mylex eXtremeRAID 2000 with IBM 15Krpm disks.
The stripe size really depends on your typical message size. You want
to make sure that the majority of messages will require only a single
disk write (+1 for fault tolerant RAID).

My Exim mass mail server can handle over 2 million discrete messages a
day without breaking a sweat, provided I don't get cute with things like
virus scanning.

Ciao,
Sheldon.