Re: [Exim] exim performance

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim performance
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Nico Erfurth wrote:

> I run exim 4.10 on a small system:
> PII-350
> 256 MB Ram
> IDE-Drives
> (very cheap MoBo)
> Linux 2.4.18
>
> The only perfomance related things i do is using split_spool_directory.
> From my local system (without RBL/spamlist checking) is can spool
> around 1000 Messages per minute.
>
> From a remote-system, i'm able to spool 450-500 messages,
> with RBLs and the spamlist from wirehub.nl (as CDB).

Just repeated the test from a better connected machine(1), and the old
one(2) together.

(1) alone => 650-720 messages per minute
(2) alone => 450-500 messages per minute
(1) + (2) => (1)=550-630 mpm (2)=370-420 mpm

As you can see, exim can handle 1000 (REMOTE) mpm even on a small machine
like my one, with all the testings that are done their.

If you want to just INJECT the messages (massmailings, i hope no spam),
you can use exim -bS -odqs to enqueue the messages via bsmtp, they will be
routed and enqueued.

You should either run exim as queue-run-daemon (exim -q5m) or after you
enqueued everything, run exim once like this exim -q to send out the
mails, run exim -q (via a cronjob or as daemon), until all mails are sent
out.

ciao