Re: [Exim] Lines: xxx mail header and maildir

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Nico Erfurth, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Lines: xxx mail header and maildir
On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 06:37:10PM +0200, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> Hmmmm, strange, i never had such problems (but i don't use mutt ;)), you
> could use something like this, to add the header, if you are sure they
> are REALLY needed.
> add this option to the transports
> headers_add = Lines: $body_linecount

Thanks, that works for half of it. Maildir delivery now contains the
line count.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with my procmail transport:
# This transport is used for procmail
procmail_pipe:
headers_add = Lines: $body_linecount
return_path_add
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
driver = pipe
check_string = "From "
command = "/usr/bin/procmail -d ${local_part}"
escape_string = ">From "
group = mail
user = $local_part

My guess is that exim does add the line count, but it gets removed by
procmail and not re-added when procmail delivers to maildir :-(
But eh, that's hardly exim's fault.

It's really stupid for procmail to remove the Lines header that exim
already adds, but if one really wants, there is a
workaround:http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/2001-05/msg00078.html

> But i can't believe that mutt really depends on this.

It doesn't depend on it, but it sure uses it to show the message size
instead of parsing (or in the case of imap) downloading the whole
message body.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:45:49AM +0800, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Or, as a workaround, set the $index_format variable in your .muttrc to report
> size instead of lines.
>
> set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%4c) %s"

Right.
Considering that procmail stupidly strips an already present lines
header, I'll probably switch to that.

Thanks
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key