Re: [Exim] Overhauled 'Exim and Mailman' doc

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Greg Ward
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Overhauled 'Exim and Mailman' doc
On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 22:43, Greg Ward wrote:
> [follow up on exim-users please -- let's try to keep this on one list]

[loud cheer - I nearly pushed it all to the mailman list yesterday as I
have to approve all posts from the mailman guys who are not on the exim
list :-) ]

2 comments spring to mind, one pedantic, one more useful...

First the pedantic....
> The drawback of this configuration is that it will work poorly on
> systems supporting lists in several different mail domains. While
> Mailman handles virtual domains, it does not yet support having two

[I would add the word "distinct" at this point]

> lists with the same name in different virtual domains, using the same
> Mailman installation. This will eventually change. (But see below for
> a variation on this scheme that should accomodate virtual domains
> better.)

[End pedant mode]

> Routers for Exim 4
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>   mailman_main_router:
>     driver = accept
>     require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>     transport = mailman_transport

>   mailman_router:
>     driver = accept
>     require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>     local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
>                         -confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
>                         -owner : -request : -admin
>     transport = mailman_transport

These two routers differ *only* in the suffix handling (there used to be
more than one transport, but the transports are common now).... so we
can collapse them into a single router:-

  # Single mailman (list) handling router.  Handles both
  # the administration addresses (which have suffixes on)
  # and the (bare) list post address.
  mailman_router:
    driver = accept
    require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
    local_part_suffix_optional
    local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
                        -confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
                        -owner : -request : -admin
    transport = mailman_transport

Obviously exactly the same can be done for exim3 directors.

    Nigel.