Re: [Exim] Overhauled 'Exim and Mailman' doc

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Greg Ward, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Overhauled 'Exim and Mailman' doc
Greg Ward wrote:
> Notes
> -----
>
> Exim should be configured to allow reasonable volume -- e.g. don't set
> max_recipients down to a silly value -- and with normal degrees of
> security -- specifically, be sure to allow relaying from 127.0.0.1, but
> pretty much nothing else. Parallel deliveries and other tweaks can also
> be used if you like; experiment with your setup to see what works.
> Delay warning messages should be switched off or configured to only
> happen for non-list mail, unless you like receiving tons of mail when
> some random host is down.

Once i helped someone on the list who had problems with his
mailman-setup, and he tried the following

queue_smtp_domains = ${if and {\
                                  {eq {127.0.0.1}{$interface_address}}\
                                  {def::h_X-Mailman-Version::}\
                                  }{*}{}\
                          }

split_spool_directory

and running exim's queuerunner in small cycles (exim -q1m or -q2m).
He told me that this helped very much to reduce the load on his server.

I think stuff like a caching named or nscd to reduce dns-queries don't
need to be explained ;)

ciao