Re: [Exim] Timezone Problems

Author: Kamalan Govender
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Timezone Problems
Ok. I will do this, and let you know. Thanks again.

Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Kamalan Govender wrote:
>

>>Sorry, losing you here. When you telnet locahost 25 on a system, is the
>>last field the GMT off set?
>>

>Yes.
>

>>When I telnet localhost 25 I get:
>>220 marcus.wits.ac.za ESMTP Exim 4.10 Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:43:46 -0200
>>
>>Which I read as GMT-2. The second last field, 12:44:46 is the right
>>wall-clock time.
>>

>On my host I get
>
>220 libra.cus.cam.ac.uk ESMTP Exim 4.10 Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:52:02 +0100
>
>Which is correct. You should presumably get +0200 if all is well. Since
>you are not, something is wrong.
>
>Exim computes the offset by comparing the time it gets from the gmtime()
>ane localtime() functions. So your result suggests that these are giving
>incorrect answers. Since the local time seems to be right, it suggests
>that the gmtime() function is giving the wrong answer. Presumably it
>would do this if the operating system thought your machine was in a
>different timezone to the one that it is actually in.
>
>So, if you are able to, I suggest you write a little C program that
>calls the localtime() and gmtime() functions and prints out what they
>are telling you. This will confirm my diagnosis. Then you'll need to
>tweak your OS to get it right - I'm afraid I have no idea how the
>default timezone is set in Solaris
>

>>I think if I can get Exim to show the last field to be +0200 and the
>>right wall clock time, when it shoud be ok.
>>

>Yes. +0200 is right for ZA.
>
>Philip

Kamalan Govender
Computer and Network Services
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Postal Address: Private Bag 3, WITS, 2050, South Africa
Telephone: +27-(0)11-717-1671
Fax:       +27-(0)11-339-1225
Web-site:  www.wits.ac.za

Disclaimer: The views in this email do not necessarily represent
            those of the University of the Witwatersrand