Re: [Exim] exim, data from ldap and umlauts

Author: Steve Haslam
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim, data from ldap and umlauts
On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 10:14:33PM +0200, Philipp Gaschuetz wrote:
> I've been testing ldap with exim in order to have a central storage place
> for auto reply texts. worked without any problems...
>
> ...unless you had a german "umlaut" in your text (and I guess any other
> foreign chars as well). This would cause an unprintable character - no
> crash, or similiar; but not nice ;)
>
> I guess this is due openldap storing data in UTF-8.
>

> I have found the code further below, which works fine (at least for the
> problem above ;)) - Philip maybe this is worth implementing?

Another alternative is to use the iconv() function on OSes that support it,
which will also allow greater flexibility in conversion (not everyone will
want to convert to ISO-8859-1, I suspect).

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      Reading, UK                           araqnid@???
Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer                               araqnid@???