[Exim] malformed debug_selector setting: + or - expected but…

Author: Erik Enge
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] malformed debug_selector setting: + or - expected but found "11"
Hi all.

I get this error when I try to run Exim with debugging turned on:

[root@atlanta root]# exim -bd -q1h -d11
exim: malformed debug_selector setting: + or - expected but found "11"

I'm running it on RedHat 7.2 on x86 hardware:

[root@atlanta root]# exim -bV
Exim version 4.04 #5 built 10-May-2002 17:12:50
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2002

According to exim(8), it should work:

    -d<number>
           Sets a debug level, causing debugging information to be
           written to the standard error file.  [snip]

I must be doing something so obviously wrong that I can't see it.

While I'm at it, I'm trying to debug my ACLs. The current configuration
is this:

acl_smtp_rcpt = acl_check_rcpt

begin acl

  acl_check_rcpt:
    accept  hosts = :
    deny    local_parts   = ^.*[@%!/|]
    accept  local_parts   = postmaster
            domains       = +local_domains
    require verify        = sender
    deny    message       = rejected because $sender_host_address is in a black list at $dnslist_domain\n$dnslist_text
            dnslists      = blackholes.mail-abuse.org
    accept  domains       = +local_domains
            endpass
            message       = unknown user
            verify        = recipient
    accept  domains       = +relay_hosts
            endpass
            message       = unrouteable address
            verify        = recipient
    accept  hosts         = +relay_hosts
    deny    message       = relay not permitted

With this configuration, I would expect the following to fail:

[root@atlanta root]# exim -bh 192.203.178.39

**** SMTP testing session as if from host 192.203.178.39
**** but without any ident (RFC 1413) callback.
**** This is not for real!

>>> host in host_lookup? yes (matched "*")
>>> looking up host name for 192.203.178.39
>>> IP address lookup yielded linux.crynwr.com
>>> checking addresses for linux.crynwr.com
>>> 192.203.178.39
>>> host in host_reject_connection? no (option unset)
>>> host in sender_unqualified_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in recipient_unqualified_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_verify_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_try_verify_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_accept_junk_hosts? no (option unset)

220 atlanta.office.pri ESMTP Exim 4.04 Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:14:12 -0400

But it looks like it is ok; or am I missing something?

I tried to add a "deny" statement to the ACL at the very beginning to
force it to deny everything (just as a confirmation that it actually
worked) but that didn't seem to have any impact what so ever; I could
still deliver to local users from local users.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated,

Erik Enge.