Re: [Exim] Performance issues

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: John Day, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Performance issues
John Day wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am running exim 3.36 on a single P4 1.6GHz RedHat 7.3 machine with
> 768mb of RAM. A single Perl programme is generating email. It seems
> that we have a capacity limit on that machine of 12,250 deliveries
> per hour.
>
> Setup is pretty much default, i.e. we are not using split spool
> directories.
>
> Can anybody give me ideas on how to get this figure up? I would
> dearly love to get to 50,000 per hour per server. I have a sustained
> requirement for 1-2 million emails per server per day. This is not a
> spamming application - but a very large system of double opt-in lists
> with a VERY low rate of complaints or problems.
>
> Any clues appreciated.
>
> John Toronto, Canada

1.) Please don't reply to other messages to start a new thread
2.) Wrap your lines at 72 chars.

You should give some more informations about your config, we had good
results with split_spool_directory and injecting the mails with
exim -bS -odqs. Do queue-runs every ten minutes or so and raise the
number of parallel queue-runners, to send out the mails. Further you
should install some local dns-caching daemon
(djbdns/nscd).

ciao