Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads
Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
>     Hi all,
>     I want to migrate an ISP mail relay from Qmail 1.3 to Exim 3.

You should give exim4 a try, much easier configuration and more flexible
at all.

>     Actually it has 60.000 users and uses one Dell Pentium III - 1.13 Mhz - 1 Gb Memoria running Linux.
>     I believe that each user send and receive 5 emails by day.

Exim and most other MTAs are IO-Bound, so you should have FAAAAAAST
disks, maybe a SCSI-Raid.

>     Exim will only act as relay to another Qmail.
>     I have some questions about Exim performance:
>     1) Will it support this load?

I think so ;)

>     2) What parameters can I put in exim.conf to support this load?

Depends, if most mails can be delivered immediantly you don't need
special configurations i would say, you can try to set
split_spool_directory if much mails will get queued before delivery.
Just play with the config a little bit ;).
In your case you can drop most of the default routers/directors.

If you have big lists (domains/users/etc) you should keep them in a
databasefile that can be accessed very fast (CDB).

Btw, once i did a configuration to replace qmail with exim3 (doing all
the .qmail stuff) i can send it to you if you are interested and want to
convert the backend server too.

For anyone else, i rewrote and modified the config to work with exim4
(it's much nicer now) so if someone is interested, feel free to mail me.
I would be glad to get some feedback/critics/ideas.

ciao