Re: [Exim] retry timeout exceeded

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Walter H. van Holst
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] retry timeout exceeded
On 6 Oct 2002, Walter H. van Holst wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have set up exim as my local SMTP server for a very low number of
> users and to run mailman with it. The machine it is installed on is
> Debian Potato box with an ADSL connection to the outside world.
> Mailscanner is installed and so is mailman, which is running two mailing
> lists with low traffic.

Exim version?

> Strangely enough sometimes my mail gets bounced with various error
> messages, but all of them end with the following statement: retry
> timeout exceeded.

This happens if the mail was in the queue for a LOOOONG time, so the rerty
rule said "Ok, no way i can't deliver this mail, return it to the sender".

> That statement can be preceded by errors like:
>
> remote host address is the local host

One of your domains is not in the local_domains list, so the mail is tried
to be send via SMTP, but exim recognizes that the host is the same as
itself, so the delivery is useless (would create a "endless" mailloop).

> forced defer: All deliveries are deferred

You should check your setup, if a deliveries defer you have a big problem
;)

> The last one is the most common.

You HAVE a problem ;)

> The stuff regarding this type of error I could find on the web was
> mostly related to systems on dial-up, which this one isn't. Does anyone
> have a clue what is happening?

Without your eximversion, your config, some useable logentries or a
debugrun we just can guess, please provide more informations.

If you have mails in your queue, enforce a queuerun with debugging and
post the output.

ciao