[Exim] exim.reject

Author: Hans Wilmer
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim.reject
Hi!

Since quite some time, I'm using entries in /etc/exim.reject to block
sites that send unwanted messages. Additionally, I'm making use of the
.forward file to pick out messages that do contain HTML only and to
inform the sender of such mail that HTML-only messgaes are unwanted.

Denying messages by entering an envelope sender into exim.reject has
two drawbacks:

1.) Which senders (or whole domains, mostly) are blocked is not
    configurable on a per-user basis.

2.) The error message the blocked senders get is not exactly
    informative. It only says ,Administrative prohibition' ---
    the recipient of such an error message may make of it anything or
    nothing at all.

To solve 1.) and 2.), I thought I'd only need to find out how I could
request the envelope sender of each mail from within the .forward file
in order to check it against a list of unwanted senders analogous to
exim.reject. To find out how that could be done, I search the mails in
this list and stumbled about the discussion about the subject 'Proper
autoresponder behavior'.

After reading that thread, I'm no longer shure what I should do. At
least, it seems that I should maybe not simply filter the incoming
messages for the envelope senders and send an informative error
message to those that I want to block.

But what should I do instead? I just want to continue blocking senders
(or domains) listed in a file like exim.reject, but this should be
done on a per-user basis. I want to mail a configurable error message
to the blacklisted senders, like:

   'Your message $message_id has been automatically rejected by
    mail-delivery software. Your envelope sender address is blacklisted
    because too much SPAM has been coming from your site. Nevertheless,
    you can circumvent this filter by adding the line 'X-nofilter:
    nofilter' to the headers of your mail.'

Blocking the HTML-only mails should continue to work as it is.

What's the best way to achieve that? What things do I have to consider
(like handling mails from mailing lists)? --- I'm using Exim version
3.35; if it is better to switch to 4.x, I could do that.

GH
--
This mail is copyrighted material and must not be processed by
closed-source software.