Re: [Exim] Adding text to the Subject line

Autor: Sanjeev \"Ghane\" Gupta
A: Suresh Ramasubramanian, exim-users
Assumptes nous: Re: [Exim] Adding text to the Subject line [2]
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Adding text to the Subject line
From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <mallet@???>

> ghane@??? (Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta) writes:
>
> > What I need is a way to notify users who recieve mail at

the
> > old.com address that they should contact the sender, and

ask
> > him to use the new address. I think the easiest way may

be
> > to add [OLD.COM] to the subject line when accepting

mail, if
> > condition matches, and asking users to handle these

cases
> > manually with their correspondents.
>
> Why not just use the exim equivalent of a .forward with

the vacation
> program?
>
> Or, have a transport that, if it sees RCPT TO: old.com,

spits back an
> autoreply to the sender before falling over to the next

transport for
> delivery?

I do not want to "trouble" the sender, after all, its hardly
his fault we renamed ourselves ;-)

> If you want to make the change far faster, I'd suggest

bouncing old.com mail
> with a 5xx message "please contact foo@???" - easily

customizable if
> foo@??? maps to foo@???

No, no, no. The immediate response from most of our users
(who are representative, I suppose, of the senders), would
be: Frank has left?

> Otherwise, I'm sure you are aware that sheer inertia will

leave old.com
> permanently embedded in lots of outlook address books out

there.

True. I am very much in favour of never expiring old email
addresses (I forward for employees who left years ago). I
was thinking on the lines of informing *our* staff that
someone out there has an old address.

Thanks

--
Sanjeev Gupta