Re: [Exim] Exim through a firewall

Author: James P. Roberts
To: Elimar Riesebieter, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim through a firewall
> Hi all,
>
> at work I am using Debian woody on my laptop with exim as the MTA.
> Now the mailserver (M$Exchange) is behind a firewall. The admins
> have closed port 25 and my idea is to access the mailserver via a
> ssh-tunnel. How to do that with exim? Is there another possibility
> to go through a firewall with exim?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Elimar

Depends on the firewall. A good firewall will block ALL the ports, and then open just the ones needed to provide the services the
admins desire.

Assuming you (a) have access to an open port on the mailserver, and (b) have access to the server to setup something (for example,
Stunnel) to listen for connections on that port... AND, you can configure Stunnel on the server side to connect to the mailserver's
MTA... Then the answer might be "yes."

Which brings up the question, why is port 25 blocked? Perhaps they are not providing SMTP service at all? Is it maybe just a
POP/IMAP server, not an SMTP server? Just wondering.

Best Regards,
Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.