RE: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...

Author: John Day
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...
One suggestion: try putting a Reply-to: <desired name> header in the email. Then if the relaying ISP rewrites the From: address you may get the Reply-to: out to your recipient.

Apart from that you won't have much luck.

The spammers have made the business of operating relays of ANY kind very difficult. As an ISP/Service Bureau I can tell you that we ALWAYS validate the domain name returned by the reverse-DNS query and if they don't match? Sorry, your not getting email in here! It is getting far too risky for us to do it any other way.

Some ISP's actually use the ARIN and similar dabase to determine block assignments for ISP's issuing dynamically assigned IP's, this is the problem rather than the simple fact of being a dial-up. You MAY (big may!) be bale to get a fixed IP assignment from your ISP, some have systems set up for doing that but sadly it is getting to be fewer and fewer who will.

Even sending email from a web host is difficult now. Because ARIN will no longer accept 'virtual hosting' as a justification for address assignments you will notice that most hosting house do not offer the possibility of relaying email through your site. Some do - by using a separate machine to do the relaying. But even this can fall down!

My advice? If you are really serious go out and get a dedicated server at a hosting house. They will give you an IP address (or even a small block) and with some you even get to run your own DNS. One company worth trying is to be found at www.nocster.com (I use them but have no other association) who currently offer Exim 3.36 on their servers.

John Day
Toronto, Canada