[Exim] ms exchange problems

Autor: Keith St.Amand
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] ms exchange problems
Help,

I am having a problem I was hoping someone could
provide some guidance on.

My configuration is such;

Internet --- firewall--- exchange

             Exim MTA

* MX records on the Internet point to Exim MTA.
* Exim forwards mail to allowed internal domain/s.
* Exchange sends all external mail to Exim MTA and
then out.

Everything works as expected, except I get SOME (small
%) mail messages backed up in the Exchange Outgoing
queue.

Here is what I have tried and found;
* Exchange messages are marked with Host Unreachable
--- I can ping both Exim and Exchange from each other
with various sized packets, so I don't believe I have
network, fragmenation, or firewall problems (no drops
or rejects for anything between Exim and Exchange)
--- Destination host name is resovable at both points,
so I don't believe any name resolution problems
--- Packet trace shows expected SYN - SYN/ACK
conversation between both. Only thing I found with the
problem messages is the SMTP conversation starts
(HELO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO, DATA - with corresponding
250 OK) and the message body starts moving over the
wire, then in the middle of the message body I see
packets from Exchange and then no responce back from
Exim in the middle of message body transfer. The last
packet I see is an ACK from Exchange to EXIM and
that's it - NOTHING AFTER THAT.
--- I have shutdown all firewalling (giptables),
removed AMAVIS and SPAMASSASSAIN in order to rule
things out.
--- no errors in maillog pertaining to these messages.

I'm at a loss and not sure what other tools to use to
debug this. As soon as I put my old Sendmail solution
back in place, mail flows smoothly again.

Any thing you could point me at to help decipher this,
would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you