RE: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...

Autor: Jeff Breitner
A: 'Roland Heiber', exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...
> I'd like to use my own Linux-Box as SMTP-host because my ISP
> always rewrites my e-mail adress but I'd like to use my
> standard alias. (i use email@??? but after sending via
> my ISP the recipient would see email@??? and would answer
> to it ... ) The problem ist, that certain other ISPs will not
> accept emails sent from dial-up hosts (in this case, my
> privat pc), so how can I fix this???

The answer is, you can't. Refusing mail from known dial-up addresses is
an administrative policy set by the system receiving the mail, not by
your ISP.

Assuming that you have your own domain name, this will only work for
inbound mail if your ISP gives you either a dedicated IP address that
can be referenced in your domain's MX record, or you use something like
ETRN to dump your mail from a host that's online all the time (yuck).

If you're just interested in firing up Exim and using it to send your
own mail, then the problem you're going to experiece is just what you
mentioned; some ISPs won't accept mail from known dial-up IP space.
There's nothing you can do to fix that since it's a decision made at the
receiving ISP.

I disagree with your ISP rewriting your mail envelopes to change your
address. I think that if they accept mail for relay, then they have to
accept it as is and it simply is not their business to change it. I
understand their reasoning, but fail to see how that changes anything
when fighting/researching the cause of junk and abusive mail.