Re: [Exim] Mail Forwarding problem

Autor: Dave C.
A: exim-users
CC: Russell Wilton
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Mail Forwarding problem
On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Is your Exim host the one that generates the bounce message, or is it
> polaris.netsrv.uleth.ca?

Phil, it looks to me like its his host that has to generate the NDR,
since this looks like it was speaking SMTP to the remote host, and the
remote host did not accept the message at SMTP time, giving "550 unknown
user" as the response.

> > Maybe I didn't describe my problem adequately. Your answer would
> > address the inverse of my problem.
>
> Sorry, answering quickly sometimes has this kind of effect...
>
> > When a local user "A" sends mail to another local user "B", and "B" has
> > set an invalid forwarding address, "A" gets a bounce message saying that
> > "B" doesn't exist, with no mention of the bad forwarding address.
>
> I guess I need to know more about the hosts involved. In the example
> above, the control of the wording is with the polaris.netsrv.uleth.ca
> host. If it's an Exim 4 host, the wording will be in the ACL.

user1@hisdomain sends a message to user2@hisdomain. user2@hisdomain has
a .forward with nonexistantuser@???, which the remote
server rejects at SMTP time.

When his host sends the bounce to user1@hisdomain, he wants it to give
some indication that while user2@hisdomain is valid, a chile address
thereof is not.

I think he specifically wants to expose the fact that there was a
.forward which had an invalid address, as opposed to there being an
internal problem delivering locally to user2@hisdomain.