Re: [Exim] Mail Forwarding problem

Autor: Russell Wilton
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Mail Forwarding problem
Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Russell Wilton wrote:
>
>>A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>>recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>>
>> test.user@???
>> SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<test.user@???>:
>> host polaris.netsrv.uleth.ca [142.66.ccc.ddd]:
>> 550 unknown user
>>
>>The sender knows that "test.user@???" is a valid address and thinks
>>there must be something wrong with the mail system. Confusion ensues.
>>

>Well, in some sense there _is_ something wrong. :-)
>
>1. You can set hide_child_in_errmsg.
>
>2. You can customize bounce messages (chapter 40).
>
>But consider. Suppose A is aliased to B and B gets sent to a different
>host and *then* fails. The sender is still going to get a message about
>failure to deliver to B. So the best you can do is to catch some of the
>cases.

Maybe I didn't describe my problem adequately. Your answer would
address the inverse of my problem.

When a local user "A" sends mail to another local user "B", and "B" has
set an invalid forwarding address, "A" gets a bounce message saying that
"B" doesn't exist, with no mention of the bad forwarding address. I
understand that hide_child_in_errmsg is supposed to prevent the
forwarding address from being displayed, but I don't have it set. So, I
expected the bad forward address to be displayed in the bounce message,
giving user "A" a chance of figuring out what's wrong. Instead, since
they know "B"s address is valid, they think the mail system is broken
and waste their and my time tracking down the problem.

Why is the bad forwarding address not mentioned in the bounce? Do I
have something configured incorrectly or do I need to create a
customized bounce message? Thanks for your help.

Russ

--
Russell D. Wilton                     E Mail: WILTON@???
Network Services Manager              Voice:   (403) 329-2525