Re: [Exim] Re: BITD: feedback on potential new exim graphic

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: David
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Re: BITD: feedback on potential new exim graphic
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, James P. Roberts wrote:

> OK, now I'd like to ask a serious question about the graphics... For a
> given "size," which graphic compresses better as a .GIF or .PNG (or
> whatever... heck, let's ask with respect to the "best" compression
> technique for each one - a statement on which format is best for each,
> and why, would also be nice).

Well, that all depends doesn't it--after a design is selected it would
presumably then go through a process of optimisation which could include
tweaking to further optimise the file without compromising the design
concept too much, if at all.

Jim's logos look as though they were optimised already from the
file size, but you'd have to ask him about that. Jennifer's can be
optimised to a similar file size with no real change image quality
(http://www.sharpblue.com/exim/opt.htm for a very quick test I did), or
could be optimised further and/or in a different file format after some
optimisation tweaking.

Sorry, but since most people know that the rule of thumb is that larger
areas of flat colours tend to make for smaller files (better compression),
I fail to read your post without an underlying tone of "some of the
proposals used gradients, which means they wouldn't compress as
well--unless they were jpegs..." Perhaps I'm just tired, but it is
starting to seem like BITD means there should only be one logo standing
before the voting begins.

> Why all this, you may ask? Because I actually care how many bytes get
> shipped across the internet everytime someone looks at the graphic.

Not to mention the hard drive space when they store it in their browsers
cache. ;)

DG