[Exim] AUTH, TLS, POP3 passwords setup

Autor: Julian Bond
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] AUTH, TLS, POP3 passwords setup
I suspect this ought to be a faq, but I haven't been able to find
definitive answers.

I'm after a cookbook for setting up the following in Exim
- Allow roaming users to use the server for smtp send
- This SMTP send should be protected by TLS
- Authentication should be by the same id-password as they use for pop3
- The solution must work with recent copies of Outlook and Outlook
Express as that's what most of the users have installed.
- I need a solution that will also work with stunnel as I'm perverse and
can't give up an email reader that doesn't support TLS on SMTP although
it will support smtp auth via SASL PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, SCRAM,
ANONYMOUS, DIGEST-MD5.

I have to say that I've only been working through the Exim docs for a
day or so, and only got the server installed this morning. The
installation is compiled with SSL support and all AUTH methods. I
understand that I've got to add
tls_advertise_hosts = *
tls_certificate = etc.
tls_privatekey = etc.
And that I need to write an authenticator and ACL settings, but I'm
hitting a brick wall on how to write these.

Can anyone point at a URL that describes how to do this without assuming
I'm already an Exim-Linux expert? Or have I got to go and buy the
O'Reilly book?

My Setup
Redhat 7.3
Exim 4.10
Qpopper 4.0.4

The background to this is that it's highly likely that the users will be
accessing this server from public WiFi hotspots and I want to *do the
right thing* in giving them access without exposing them and me. I've
got QPopper working with pop3s, now I need the other half.

TIA

--
Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond@???
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/