Re: [Exim] Retry problem

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Russell Wilton
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Retry problem
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Russell Wilton wrote:

> uleth.ca               quota       F,1h,15m; G,4h,30m,1.5;

> When a local delivery attempt is made (uleth.ca) and the user is over
> quota, the log shows the message being deferred and then immediately
> timed out.

> Why doesn't it retry for 4 hours as the configure file says it should?

Exim retries are not message based. The "retry clock" starts from the
time a particular failure is detected, independent of individual
messages.[1]

What it should do is retry deliveries to that address for up to 4 hours
after it detects the first failure. That is not the same as "4 hours
after it received this message".

I deduce that the mailbox has been over quota for more than 4 hours,
and there was at least one previous delivery failure more than 4 hours
ago.

[1] This is a simplification in general, because "message errors" are
(of course) message based. But errors that cannot be attributed to a
specific message act the way I've described, and "over quota" is not
something related to any one message.